Sunday, November 4, 2018

Octobers Learning experience

SST 307 Blog 3 



First I want to say I cannot believe it is November and the semester is coming to an end quickly.  I was able to meet with my clinical educator. This was a great experience watching her teach ELA in small groups. She incorporated social studies into her reading lesson. She discussed how different countries live in poverty and may not have the resources that we have. While reading she stopped and pointed out the map and discussed where Africa is and the distance between the United States. I am excited to work with the teacher and the students this semester. I was really nervous about working with fourth grade since I have mainly been with the lower grades. After my observation, I am very excited to work with fourth grade. As I sub I am finding that I prefer working with grades 2-4. I learned a great amount from my clinical educator from this one observation that I will be able to incorporate in my future classroom. In my future classroom, I would like to have my students in groups for ELA. In these groups, I can incorporate social studies and I learned scholastic news is a great resource for classrooms. As I continue to unpack standards I am finding reliable resources I can use. I continue to learn a great amount from this experience. I can relate my learning experiences to the NCPTS, standard 3 teachers know the content they teach. I was able to observe my clinical educator align the instruction to social studies standards specifically to economics. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth! It's very exciting to hear that you are enjoying your clinical experience. I haven't met with my teacher yet but we talked over the phone and I like her already so I'm excited to knock these experiences out. One thing I've learned is that the school I'm at (Bruns Academy) is a year round Title One school. I've never experienced a year round school so I'm anxious to check it out. I work with 6th grade this year and I always told myself I wouldn't go over 3rd; isn't it crazy how things change once you step foot in the classroom. Being a textile learner; I've learned a lot at the school I'm working at. I find myself lecturing a lot so I want to work on putting students in small groups and incorporating technology more.

    It's been great working with you this semester, hang tight; we're almost there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so great you experienced a teacher that incorpated Social Studies within literacy. I agree Elizabeth I perfer the grades 2-4 I have been in these grades before. I use to say I wanted K-1st, but after being in 2-4 grades and being able to carry a conversation with the older grades and a deeper disscussion. Now I would rather have the older grades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, I am glad your clinical is going well and you have a CE that understands the impact of integration!

    ReplyDelete